About Point Amour Lighthouse
Built by Canada to guide transatlantic steamship traffic down
the Strait of Belle Isle, Point Amour Lighthouse was completed in
1857 and was first illuminated in 1858. In the days before roads
linked the communities along this coast, the lighthouse was always
a stopover for residents travelling up and down the coast on foot
or by dogsled. Lighthouse keepers witnessed many marine disasters
due to the treacherous conditions off this coast - shallow water,
rocks, icebergs, strong currents and sea ice well into spring.
Seven men died when the HMS Lily ran aground and sank nearby in
1889. Eleven lives were lost in August 1922, when the HMS Raleigh,
a 700-crew vessel, ran aground and the rocks of Forteau Bay ripped
a 360-foot hole in her hull.