Heart's Content Cable Station
Highway 80, Heart's Content, Newfoundland and Labrador, 1
1/2 hours from St. John's.
What else can I do?
In Winterton (10 minutes away)
In Salmon Cove (20 minutes away)
- Build a sandcastle on a sweeping sandy beach, then birdwatch along the Trail of the
Eagles Walking Trail along the cliffs above.
In Harbour Grace (30 minutes away)
- Snap a picture of The Kyle - a 1913 era steamship anchored in the
- Pick up a brochure at the town's visitor centre and walk around
the Heritage District. Visit St. Paul's
Church (built 1835) and the historic courthouse (built 1830) - still a courthouse
In Bay Roberts (40 minutes away)
- Visit the 1913 era Cable Building. Interactive exhibits highlight
the merchant story of the area. Don't miss the Christopher Pratt
Art Gallery, also in this building.
- Hike the Shoreline Heritage Walk (also known as the Mad
Rocks Walk) to get your fill of cliffs, coves and craggy
headlands - with a dose of history too. Interpretation along the
trail marks where French fishermen cured fish in the 1500s, and
where English settlers built homesteads in the 1700s. Look for rock
walls and root cellars built by some of Canada's early settlers.
One the the best trails in the province.
In Cupids (50 minutes away)
- Walk the trails to Spectacle Head and Burnt Cove around
In Brigus (50 minutes away)
- Stroll along the canals and explore a tunnel that was blasted
through sheer rock for better access to the water.
- Stock up on blueberries at the Annual
Blueberry Festival (2nd week of August)
In Grate's Cove (1 hour away)
- Right at the tip of the peninsula, walk a landscape divided by
rock walls built by early settlers - now
designated as a National Historic Site.
More to see and do all over Newfoundland and