Heart's Content Cable Station
Highway 80, Heart's Content, Newfoundland and Labrador, 1
1/2 hours from St. John's.
What can I do here?
- Meet the outport men and women whose destinies opened to the
world by working at the station in the 1800s.
- Tour the replica 1870s cable office.
- Step back into a pre-microchip era of vaccuum tubes and brass
switches in the 1960s-era communications room.
- Watch a 20-minute film about the effort to lay the
transatlantic cable in the 1860s.
- Walk along the beach to see the remnants of the cable that was
once the only connection between Europe and North America.
- Buy a souvenir at the gift shop.
More to do around