Cupids Cove Plantation
Cupids, Newfoundland and Labrador, approx 40 mins from St.
Cupids Cove Plantation is an active archaeological dig on the site
of a colony established by John Guy in 1610 - the first attempt at
permanent English settlement in what would become Canada. Though
the colony's existence was well known, its actual location was lost
to time until archeological survey work in Cupids in 1995 revealed
some promising artifacts. Excavations since then have uncovered the
remains of four early 17th-century buildings and more than 135,000
artifacts - each one adding a new piece to the picture of these
early settlers' lives. One thing is clear - Canada's first English
settlers were building a community and they intended to stay.
Learn more about The Cupid's Colony and John Guy on the
Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Website and visit the Cupids
Legacy Centre in Cupids.
Cupids Cove Plantation is operated by the Baccalieu Trail
Heritage Corporation. Go there to learn more about archeology
in and around Cupids.